Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Default Is it possible to see who last opened a Word Document?

The KB article I cited includes this in the description of how to get
rid of the names:

"Note This information is not stored by Word 2003."

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:10:31 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

That's what I suspected. This is no longer true in Word 2003?

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
In the few documents I have that were edited by more than one person, yes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

so
all may benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Can you see this information if you use "Recover Text from Any File"?

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
It isn't an urban legend. Versions before Word 2003 stored the names
of up to 10 authors. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290945#E0LD0ACAAA.

As for how to view them, right-click the file, choose Open With
Notepad, and scroll down toward the end of the document. Wordpad
won't do, because it interprets the Word information in the file the
same way that Word does.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:
Hi

Just curious, I remember something a while ago (might have been an
'Urban Legend' type of thing), where if you opened a word document
in notepad or wordpad it would, at the end log the IP or username
of the person who last opened the file.

I don't expect this to be true but was wondering if there is any way
to view this information? We need to check who has been accessing a
document lately and we're already past the 'turn track chages on'.

Thanks