Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
pamay[_2_] pamay[_2_] is offline

Default Editing an index

Jay Freedman;2631152 Wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 05:04:20 +0000, pamay

wrote:
-

I am working on a document that is several hundred pages long, it
contains first names with surnames which will have to be indexed. In
the document the surname is last, in the index I need the surname to
be
first, I know I can change it as I manually index the names, however
is
it possible to edit the final index - I am thinking if I can edit the
final document I could use a macro to do most of the work rather than
doing each entry as I index.
Does this make sense?-

You can put the cursor in the index and press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink
the Index
field and turn its result into plain text. That can be edited in any
way you
like.

I'll suggest that you unlink the index, copy the text to the clipboard,
and
paste it into a new blank document. Immediately go back to the original
document
and Undo (Ctrl+Z) to restore the Index field, and close that document.
Make at
least one backup copy of the unchanged plain-text index. Do all your
editing and
macro manipulations in the plain-text version; if something goes wrong,
you can
throw it away and make a new copy from the backup. And if anything goes
wrong
with the backup, you still have the original Index field that you can
unlink
again. Only at the very end should you replace the Index field in the
original
document with the edited version. Oh, and did I mention making a backup
or two?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Thanks Jay for that solution, makes my job easier. All my work is
backed up every night on a 2nd hard drive, I learnt a long time ago its
the best way to avoid buckets of tears.
Cheers and thanks
Patricia

--