Normal.dot cannot be created by users, only by Word itself. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm and
€śWD2002: Styles and AutoText Are Not Copied to New Template Based on
Normal.dot€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291441

"MooseMan" wrote in message
Suzanne,
I have created a new Normal.dot with custom margins and desired font. It
replaced the default Normal.dot. In past I was able to do that. I

checked
InsertAutoCorrectAutotext and Look In was set to All active templates, I
changed it to Normal.dot (global template) the only other choice in the

drop
down. It did not affect my problem. I closed Word and re-launched and

that
setting changed back to All active template from Normal.dot.

Is it clear, the Header/Footer control window has grayed out Insert

AutoText
which I believe has choice to insert the filename as a field in my footer.
Once set in the Normal.dot, when I create a new document and save it, the
filename would progogate the header location where I inserted the filename
field.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Either you have "Look in" set to something other than "All active

templates"
in Insert | AutoText | AutoText, or you have overwritten Normal.dot with

document or another template.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"MooseMan" wrote in message
I want to select filename option to place in footer of my template

Word
doc
so I don't have to go to ToolsInsert Field select Filename for every

new
doc.
The item called Autotext is grayed out (disabled) in the Header/Footer
window. I am running Office Pro 2000 on WinXP Pro with SP2. I have
searched Help and the Knoledge Base for clues but found none. I had

used
this feature when I was running the same product on my old slow Win98
machine. I'd guess somewhere I need to load something or other. Help

would
be appreciated.