Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Why are outline numbered list limited to 9 levels?

Being suspicious is (sometimes) a good strategy, I suspect. g

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I'm always suspicious of people who say they need more than nine

levels
because I've found so many of them that think they need Heading 1

for the
first heading (at a given level), Heading 2 for the second, etc.

It's a bit
more difficult to believe, but some people will even set up outline
numbering levels for simple lists, setting the numbering to start

from 2 on
Level 2, 3 on Level 3, etc. So I try to probe a bit to bring out any
information that might confirm that this misconception is involved.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Too many list levels would be equally confusing for the writer, I

believe.
:-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jezebel" wrote:

Caveat lector! This is functionality to make life easier for

*writers*.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You need more than nine levels of numbering in a single list?

Gack! I
wouldn't want to be the one who was trying to figure out the
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 level of subheadings.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Jim Perullo" Jim wrote in

message
news Just another voice in the noise of the crowd: I could

definitely use
more
levels - stopping at nine (9) is quite limiting for

Bill-of-Materials
work
and other logical listing purposes.

"J. Knoernschild" wrote:

Two things - one, isn't it Microsoft's responsability to

include
this
available option as they need to appeal to many users - and

not
just
limit a
feature because only 60,000 people might need it out of 2

million.
Second,
how can you customize styles or templates for automatic

outlined
numbering
greater than 10 when word is limited to 9?

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

I'm guessing that the need for more than 9 levels is

rare. Most
users
seldom
need more than 4 or 5 levels, as most. Note that Word's

built-in
Heading
levels go only from 1 to 9 as well.

That said, almost anything is possible in Word if one is

willing
invest
the time/money to setting it up. If your company

routinely needs
12-13
numbering levels, and if they're committed to staying

with Word,
it
would
make sense to develop templates that do this for you --

including
styles,
tools and macros to make it transparent to the user.
--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Please respond in the newsgroups so everyone can follow

along.
http://www.herbtyson.com
"J. Knoernschild"

wrote
in
message

Suzanne,

I strongly believe that Microsoft should come out with

an
update to
fix
this. At Boeing we must write Performance

Specifications all
the
time and
not have more than 9 levels is impossible to create a

spec.
Often
times
are
specs go as deep at 12-13 levels.

I rely on the custom numbering schemes when writing a

spec and
not
having
this feature limits my use of Microsoft Word. I must

say that
I am
rather
disappointed in the reasoning for not making this list

larger.

Thanks,

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Really the best place to pursue this inquiry is in the

.numbering
NG. The
regulars who post there know far more about numbering

than I
ever
will. I
remain skeptical, however, that the functionality

you're
seeking
was ever
available in Word.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all

follow-ups to
the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"F. James Little"

wrote
in
message

Suzanne,

Thanks for the reply. I had actually thought of

trying to
nest
the
lists,
but when I tried it, I was unable to get it to

work... (I'm
sure
there
is
some trick to it.) When I tried, it would continue

to treat
the
nested
list
as a continuation of the Parent list, and would not

allow
any
further
indentations to occur.

A reply from Robert to this same question on the

Word.Numbering
forum
contained a link which may have offered a solution

to the
nesting
issue.
If
you know of a simple method using just the interface

to nest
list, I
would
love to hearit!

Thanks again for your help.

F. James Little
Sr. Software Engineer

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can have as many level of indents and bullets

as you
like
because
there
is no issue with restarting numbering after a

certain
level.
You can
apply
any bullet you like to any style you like with any

indent
you
like.
You
could even, I imagine, have multiple

outline-numbered
lists
(nested),
but
you can't have more than nine levels within a

given list.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all