Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shane[_2_] Shane[_2_] is offline

Default Double-sided Printing with Portait and Landscape mixed - also Page Break question.

Greetings,
We use Word 2003 in Windows XP and I'm facing an odd situation. We write
technical documents, in this case a parts list. We prefer to have the
pictures on the left side of an open book, with the list of parts on the
right. That way when you're looking at a part, you don't have to turn a page
to find the information about a part.

These picture/list combinations are done in Landscape orientation, but the
front portions of the book (cover, table of contents, etc) are done in
Portrait orientation. No real problem with a section break (I even figured
out how to deal with the headers, footers, and numbering).

The difficulty I'm facing is that in this manual the Portrait section is 3
pages long and the Landscape part starts on page 4 (normally the 'back' of
page 3). This should work, as page 3 will be in the reader's right hand
(I've printed this, and that works), then you turn the page... and page 4 is
in your left hand (with the picture) and page 5 is in your right (with the
list).

Unfortunately, when I print double-sided, the back of page 3 is blank, and
the image ends up on the wrong side of the next piece of paper.

I could add two pages between 3 and 4 "Intentionally left blank" but I would
prefer not to.

As I looked into this, I noticed that there is both a section page (inserted
by me) that stops the Portrait and starts the Landscape and throughout the
ENTIRE landscape section, EVERY page has a "Section Break (continuous)" with
occasional "Page Breaks" here and there.

I'm really confused about Section Breaks beyond the simple "Insert Break
inherited document and start from scratch, but don't want to if I don't have
to.

Which raises the questions:

Is Word2003 unable to print a Portrait layout on one side of a page and a
Landscape on the other?

Where can I find out some information on Page Breaks in general and the
'continuous' variety in particular?

Thanks,

Shane