Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Problems with justify feature

Hi Nick

Nick C wrote:
I have this annoying problem. When I apply full justify feature to a
document, the words in some lines are stretched out so that there are large
spaces. Any suggestions how to correct or avoid this.

Upon reading Suzanne's answer, it could be something else: if you are
talking about spaces _between_ words, then, well -- that's the natural
thing that happens when you justify and

- you don't do manual or automatic hyphenation, or
- you do automatic hyphenation, but have too many long words that Word
doesn't know and therefor cannot hyphenate, or
- your font size : line width ratio is rather large.

I advise turning on Tools | Options | Compatibility: "Use Full
Justification Like WordPerfect ..." for any justification work pre Word
2007 (haven't tested there yet, it might be on there as per default or
the justification otherwise improved).

HTH
Robert
--