Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Primus Primus is offline

Default Mailmerge field result to insert word document

Ok if I update the field I still keep getting "Error! Not a valid filename."

I have the word document 69703.doc in the following path
"Q:\BookData\Editor\Entries\69703.doc" if I paste this in to windows explorer
it opens up the word document so I know it's a valid filename/path.

BEFORE MERGE
EntryID{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\{Mergefield
EntryID}.doc" }

AFTER MERGE
69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\{Mergefield EntryID}.doc" }

I don't see that I'm missing anything, or should I be putting this code into
the EntryID date itself?

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Primus,

It appears you've omitted the final path separator from your field code. Before executing the merge it should read:
{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\{Mergefield EntryID}.doc" }

--
Cheers
macropod

"Primus" wrote in message ...
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried various versions of what you suggested
but just keep getting text after the entry number:

69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries{Mergefield EntryID}.doc" }

69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries{Mergefield EntryID}" }

69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\BookData\Editor\Entries{Mergefield EntryID}.doc" }

69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\BookData\Editor\Entries{Mergefield EntryID}" }

Should I omit anything from the code?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You could use

{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\Path\\{Mergefield EntryID}"}
OR
{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\Path\\{Mergefield EntryID}.doc"}

Depending on what is in the EntryID field

"Primus" wrote in message
I have a my data source for mailing customers and once merged the «EntryID»
show ##### which is the customers unique .doc file name.

What I need to then get word to do is instead of showing this number is to
find the relating .doc file and insert the text from it.

Is this possible?

.

.