Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jean-Pierre Jean-Pierre is offline

Default Very strange Multi Mb document

Hello everybody,

I received a very strange WORD document through E-Mail from an acquaintance who
does not know very much about IT in general and WORD in particular.

The mail contained an attachment of about 5 Mb as a WORD document. After
downloading it reduced to 3.5 Mb, which is quite normal, apart from the fact
that one should never send such large attachments.

The strange thing, for that 3.5 Mb document, is that it was only 3 pages long,
the "statistics" (from the "Properties" window) showing about 2000 characters,
22 paragraphs, etc. The only odd thing was the "Revision number = 34" and "Total
editing time = 137 minutes".
It shows no "Versions" from the File --- Version.

When I saved it (just clicking on the "diskette" icon in the toolbar) the size
reduced to... 146 kb. However, as my WORD is set up to automatically create a
backup, the backup file was also 3.5 Mb.

Any clue on what caused that document to use such a large amount of space and
reduce so much by just re-saving it ? It was actually so big, because the
downloading took quite a time ?

Thank you in advance.

Jean-Pierre
Belgium