Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default What are header record delimiters?

In older versions of Word (2000 and earlier, don't know about Mac versions)
you could set up a data source for a MailMerge in two parts: a Header
Source, containing a list of the column names in the data source, and a
"Data Source", which would contain the actual data.

Typically a Header Source would be a .doc file or .txt file with a list of
column names separated by commas or tabs and terminated by a carriage
return/line feed or Word paragraph mark. The comma or tab is the "field
delimiter". The CR/LF is the "record delimiter". At one time things
generally seemed to work better if you duplicated the row of names in the
header (Word seemed to make a better job of guessing the delimiters).

All this was "deprecated" in Word 2002, possibly because most data source
these days come with headers of one sort or another. You can still use the
approach, but I do't think it works as well as it used to and I wouldn't use
it without a very good reason.

Or maybe you were asking about something else?

Peter Jamieson
"dante8" wrote in message
news