Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default How do I get the paragraph marker on the same line as the page

For versions up to Word 2003, there is this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288792

I don't see an equivalent page yet for Word 2007. This article discusses the
"Split apart page break and paragraph mark" compatibility option, which is
new in 2007.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

grammatim wrote:
Is there a description of all the "compatibility options" available
somewhere? Help gives an explanation of (almost) all the Advanced
options down to that point, and then nothing -- just where the names
become most cryptic.

On Sep 25, 8:42 am, Stefan Blom wrote:
Note that the behavior of the manual page break depends on the
"Split apart page break and paragraph mark" compatibility option.

To see the compatibility options in Word 2007: Click the Office
button, and then click Word Options. In the Advanced category, look
under "Compatibility options for." You will have to click the plus
sign next to "Layout Options" to see the options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jbwerner" wrote:
Thanks that worked.

I suppose this way is better because it works, but hitting
ctrl-enter is quicker (when it works).

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

jbwerner wrote:
I'm having some trouble with page breaks and the paragraph
marker. I have Word set to show all formatting marks. Sometimes
when I create a page break (ctrl-enter) it shows a short page
break symbol immediately followed by a paragraph marker. Other
times the page break symbol takes the whole width of the paper
and puts the paragraph marker on top of the next page. If I
delete the paragraph marker and start typing at the top of the
page Word formats this new page with the same settings as the
marker thus leaving blank space at the top. How do I get the
paragraph marker on the same line as the page break?

Here's a better way: Don't use a page break at all. Format the
following paragraph of text (either directly or by applying a
style) with the Page Break Before attribute from the Line and Page
Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog.