Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Possible to calculate from a cell?

also, is it required to end formatting switches with "\*
MERGEFORMAT"

No it isn't.

or is that something Word puts in unnecessarily?):

Yes, although I suspect MS thinks inserting it results in a better
experience on average for most users and they may be right.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"JAnderson" wrote in message
That makes sense, thank you. Now, what if each Merge field is itself
determined by an if statement? Here's a simplified example ignoring
formatting for now (also, is it required to end formatting switches with
"\*
MERGEFORMAT" or is that something Word puts in unnecessarily?):

Subtotal: {if {MERGEFIELD A} = "Widget" "300.00" "150.00"}
Tax: {if {MERGEFIELD B} = "Ohio" "20.00" "0.00"}
Shipping: {if {MERGEFIELD C} = "Ohio" "20.00" "0.00"}

TOTAL: ????? (Normally I would just nest all 3 of the above IF statements,
but there must be a better way).

Any ideas?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use the formula

{ = { MERGEFIELD A } + { MERGEFIELD B } + { MERGEFIELD C } }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { }, and you
may also want to add a formatted switch.

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"JAnderson" wrote in message
news
I'm very familiar with Excel, but not very much with Word and its Merge
fields.

I want to use a calculated value in several places, based on the
contents
of
merge fields. Example:

Subtotal: (Merge field A)
Tax: (Merge field B)
Shipping: (Merge field C)
TOTAL: (SUM of all 3 fields)

So, the question is whether I can have a cell where I can sum all 3
fields,
and whether I can reference that "TOTAL" field in another few places in
the
document (rather than recalculating each time).

Thanks for any suggestions!