Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How can I decrypt a Microsoft Word document for which I have the key?

Robert M. Franz (RMF) wrote:
Hi meitarm

We all think it's pointless to pay when we don't want to ... ;-)

True enough, but you must concede that I will be less likely to learn
about the workings of security on Office documents if I pay for a
program to crack it for me rather than actually do my research on how
it works. I would be more than happy to spend money on a curriculum in
comptuer security; I am less enthused about the idea of paying for
something which will not teach me something other than how to use the
interface of the one program I choose to purchase.

Have you tried opening the file in Word?

2cents
Robert

Yes, I have tried openning the file in Word. When I do so, a dialogue
box pops up and asks for the password to open the document. Remember, I
do not know the password. What I do know is the 40-bit encryption key
with which to decrypt the document. Unfortuantely, I do not know how to
apply my knowledge of the encryption key to a process that will result
in a decrypted document.

In other words, how do I take encrypted document A and encryption key X
and produce unecrypted document P?

Thanks,
-Meitar