rpbilleaud rpbilleaud is offline
Junior Member

Angry Auto numbering now allowing me to restart numbering

I have a document with multiple lists and Word will not allow me to restart numbering of lists once I get to a certain point in a lengthy document. When I highlight the items to be renumbered and go to FormatBullets and Numbering, the Restart Numbering option is grayed out. I have a rather convoluted work around that may help with the diagnosis of the problem. In order to force it to renumber, I add an extra line to the previous list. So for example if the last item is 10., I hit ENTER and it gives me 11. I can select 11, and it will allow me to restart numbering on that one, but then I have to move all of the intervening text between list #1 and list #2 up between numbers 10 and 11 (now my new number 1). I also have to move the first item in list #2 into the open number 1 item, leaving a blank number 2 which can then be deleted. I can't delete the number 1 item if it's blank or it will automatically continue numbering the way it was before. Now this is a particularly obnoxious habit of Word going its own way and I have learned to despise Word with the burning hatred normally reserved for politicians and used care salesmen, BUT since my job has foisted this monstrosity of an application upon me, I am forced to make it work.