Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Numbering in Book Files

This is emphatically not the best practice. You should instead use Heading 1
for the chapter number ("Chapter 2"), and then your subordinate numbered
heads will fall in line.

http://word.mvps.org

"Amy" wrote in message
Nevermind, I just got it... I went into the Define New Multilevel List
option
and selected Start At 2 for Heading 1, and the other headings fell
appropriately in line.

If this is not the best practice for changing the outline numbering,
please
let me know. Thanks!

"Amy" wrote:

I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have
created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I
then
use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into
new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter
(Heading 1) number. For example:

Chapter 1: Heading 1 style
1.1: Heading 2 style
1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc.

But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to
start
at 2, I get this:

Chapter 2: Heading 1 style
1.1: Heading 2 style
1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc.

I can't get that inital 1 in the outline numbering to change to 2. How
can I
get the numbering to update and start with the Heading 1 number?

Thanks!