Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell  via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Numbering in Book Files

You can also change the start at by right clicking on the chapter heading
(heading 1) and choosing "Set numbering value". It is faster and leaves you
with the same list, so if you combine and rearrange the files, there would
be fewer troubles.

Pam

Amy wrote:
Nevermind, I just got it... I went into the Define New Multilevel List option
and selected Start At 2 for Heading 1, and the other headings fell
appropriately in line.

If this is not the best practice for changing the outline numbering, please
let me know. Thanks!

I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have
created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

Thanks!