Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Mailmerge into two different formats

You should be able to do this using an IF field, e.g.
a. create your "type 1" table exactly how you want it, and put the
merge fields you want in the table
b. create an IF field (use ctrl-F9 to insert all the special field
code brace pairs):

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD type }" = "1" "your table" "{ MERGEFIELD title }" }

or the following will probably be OK in this case:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD type } = 1 "your table" "{ MERGEFIELD title }" }

c. Use Edit-Copy and Edit-Paste to copy your table to yhe place
where I've put your table
d. delete the original table
e. test!

Of course, that assumes that any type other than 1 should result in the
title being displayed. If that's not the case you can nest IF fields or
use other approaches depending on exactly what you need.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

robw wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone advise whether the following is possible :-

I'm using Word 2003 (and Excel 2003)

I'm wish to drive mailmerge from an excel "database" which has columns named
"type", "title", "description", "owner", "status"

I want the mailmerge to work as follows:-
If type is "1" then the other 4 fields are arranged in a small 2*2 table
with line borders
If type is "2" then the title alone is displayed (without any table or
borders)

Many thanks
Rob