Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default changing .dot back to .doc

Open and save it!

Bod wrote:
I can simply rename a .doc as a .dot from Win Explorer, but could it
cause problems? Should I open .doc in Word and save as .dot?

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Sneaky little critters aren't they? ;-)

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Doesn't time fly! I was so used to this not happening in Word 97
and 2000, that I never bothered to check whether it had changed
later, and it seemed like only yesterday that it didn't do this

Beth Melton wrote:
I can confirm the change occurred in Word 2002. I actually thought
it was earlier. I thought it was changed in Word 97, after the
issue with trying to convert .dot files back to .doc files after
the Concept virus appeared, but apparently not.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I *think* it was new in Word 2003, but possibly 2002.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
So you can! When did they sneak that change in?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

This used to be true, and I thought it made sense, but
apparently so many people got in trouble that in Word 2003 I
believe you *can* save a template as a document. sigh

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
It is
impossible to save a template as a document. It will always be
a template.