Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How do I type on a scanned document saved in RTF

OCR software is optical character reading software which converts scanned
text images (which is what you have) to editable text. Most scanner packages
include at least rudimentary OCR software tools. If not you'll have to buy
some to do this (Finereader is probably the best).

However, scanning a form to enter text into it is going to be a beast of a
job with OCR software - unless you have the version of Finereader that comes
with the form filling tool, which makes the job child's play. Your best bet
would be to set the layout of your inserted graphic to 'behind text' then
build a form over it using tables.

For a one-off it is more sensible to use a pen!

lindsay135 wrote:
What is OCR software? I read the manual and there is no mention of
it? Is it something I need to buy separately? Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

A scanned document is just a picture. You must use OCR software to
convert it to editable text. Your scanner probably came with some
kind of OCR software; read the manual.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"lindsay135" wrote in message
I have not used any software, all I did was scan it from my
photosmart and saved it from the printer to word, then I wanted to
beable to type on it like fill it out and then print it with the
spaces filled in. It is a form for work. I got in contact with HP
person in chat, and thy told me to save it as RTF so what did I do
wrong? Can you walk me through what to do?

"TF" wrote:

You don't. What are you trying to? Are you trying to create an on
line form?

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"lindsay135" wrote in
message ...
I am having trouble typing on a document that was scanned into
word then saved into RTF format. I saved it, closed it, reopened
it, and the only thing I can get it to do is move the whole page
around. I know I am missing a step somewhere, how can I type on
it now? Thanks