Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Default Form fields versus mail merge fields

Mailmerge would almost certainly be easier. Formfields are not meant to be
used the way you are using them. You could use regular bookmarks as easily
without the formfields.

I regularly produce mailmerges with just one record being used. You would
build a data source, which can hold multiple records. So long as you build
it with each record having a unique identifier, you should be able to
automate inserting a particular record fairly easily. (Says one who has not
done this!)

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm

Much more at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Mailmerge.htm and
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebre....htm#mailmerge
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have an application which needs to communicate with MS Word to
generate documents.
Typically my application will want to generate 1 document at a time.
The user will select a template name and then choose to build a
document.
My application then has the responsibility of populating the document
with values.
I have created document templates in MS Word which contain form fields.
I have given my fields bookmark names.
I am using COM automation to communicate with Word and I am using
WordBasic interface to call the functions I need performed.
I can start Word and give it a template to open. I then ask it for all
the bookmark names.
I then cycle through each bookmark and populate it via doing a 'GoTo'
bookmark followed by an 'Insert'. It all seems to be working.
Questions
1) what about using mail merge fields. Can I achieve the same thing
using a mail merge ? Is it any easier ? Do I need to build a data
source file containing all my data and then do a mail merge ?
2) the WordBasic interface is now old technology. What is a more modern
approach to achieving my requirements ?
3) In general what is the best approach to having my application
generate Word documents for my users ?

Thanks