Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Title Case

And some people think it looks nicer if they capitalize "long" words (such
as "between" and "through") and not "short" ones, such as "he" and "is," and
they probably have a point. But the "rule" is not to capitalize articles or
prepositions (no matter how long) except at the beginning of the title or
after a colon or dash, and the last time I looked, "to" is a preposition,
even though I can see how someone might be dubious about that when it's part
of an infinitive.

"E. Barry Bruyea" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 May 2008 13:17:24 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

In case you have (still) missed the point, the result of "Capitalize Every
Word" is not true title case, which is what the OP was asking about.

I didn't miss the point, but there are several conventions on how
"Title" is used. Capitalizing all words in a title has become
acceptable, but if you want to get technical, the following rules can
apply:

1. The "The Chicago Manual of Style" says the following about
capitalization in titles:

-Always capitalize the first and the last word.
-Capitalize all nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, and
subordinate conjunctions ("as", "because", "although").
-Lowercase all articles, coordinate conjunctions ("and", "or", "nor"),
and prepositions regardless of length, when they are other than the
first or last word.
-Lowercase the "to" in an infinitive."

As you can see, it can get complicated which is why many just
capitalize every word in a title.