Steve

"Jezebel" wrote:

I'd really like to know why Word would move a tab on its own, for no
reason.

Exactly what I mean: you're begging the question. Word doesn't do anything
on its own, and it doesn't position tabs for no reason.

1. Open Wordpad and type up about 5 lines of text.
2. Open Word, clear all tabs (including all default tab stops, enter 0 in
the field), and make one tab at 2.75" from the left margin.
3. Tab to the spot, type a street address, hit return, tab again, type a
city, hit return a couple of times...
4. Go to the wordpad document, copy the text, and paste it into the word
document.

If the tab does stay there, try copying text from this reply, or an internet
web page.

When I do that on a Word document that I have saved, already set up with my
settings and address, the tab will either disapper or move to 2.88.

If I open a new Word document and set it up the way I want, the tab stays
right where it should.

Go figure.