Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Default Updating Office 2003 problem?

Hi Ari,

You can download the updates from http://office.microsoft.com/downloads and not use the 'check for updates' option, but click down
to the updates section after selecting your version of Office. However, with the new Microsoft 'authentication' it may or may not
require a Control to be downloaded as well.

======
wrote in message ...
Greetings all,

I tried to help my mother In Law update Word by telephone, and had no
luck. It was a rough going over the phone, but it appears we were able
to do all except the final step(s).

When she clicked to start the update, she got a message in her browser
saying that she needed ActiveX turned on (OUCH). We ALL learned the
hard way about ActiveX, and no one in the family uses it anymore. In
fact, some have switched to Open Office.

Rather then get grandma up to speed on OO, we'd like to have her use
WORD as she is familiar with it and several other of the Office
programs.

Is there anyway to update Office (2003) without using an ActiveX
capable browser?? It was a very pricey software package, yet she has
never updated it.....It seems odd that there is no other way to update
WORD, but the help file doesn't give any other option(s).

Have I missed something, or should we just give up and convert her to
OO now rather than have her run WORD without updates?

Thanks,

Ari
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

Pricing and Packages for '2007 Microsoft Office System'
http://microsoft.com/office/preview