A few more comments:

4. For pull quotes, if you want them to overlap the space between two
columns (as is common), use a frame.

5 and 6. Your best bet for portability is to convert to PDF.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi John,

2. Floating graphics, what's the best way? By themselves, in a frame, or
in a floating table?

That's a tough one, because it sorta "depends". Usually, I use a frame

because
- they (and the content) are visible in all views
- the content can be picked up for TOCs, etc.
- I can create (and edit) a style with a frame and its properties as

part
of the style definition

The one thing, in more recent versions of Word, that makes me hesitant

about
frames is that the anchor is no longer really associated with the

paragraph
next to which you see it. Generally, this isn't a problem, but it can be

one
if you need to shift a lot of text around.

3. I want outlined boxes on the mailing page for stamp and label
placement. Again, what's the best way? Table, frame, autoshape, or text

box?

In this case, I'd say table, although I'd only float it if absolutely
necessary. (Anything that "floats" is a potential problem.) Other than

that,
I'd want to know how you plan to USE these areas (mail merge, VBA, just

print
the boxes...)

4. For pull quotes there's a floating graphic and a floating 3 column
table for the text. Is there a better way to do this?

I'm not clear on how your layout is supposed to be (the floating

graphic?).
But generally, I'd create a style with the necessary left and right

indents.
Easier to apply than inserting a table, and easier to adjust if something

changes (as opposed to having to resize each and every table if you decide

it
needs to be that much narrower or wider or something)

5. I have a graphical TTF font that I use for bullets and a couple of
graphics, but it doesn't stick to the document using 'Embed True Type
Fonts'. Any ideas? (Yes, there is a style for it in the template.)

If you don't get an answer to this, here, try in the word.printingfonts
newsgroup.

6. Someone else printed it and had serious problems, enough that he'll
"never do that again!" :-) He has Word '02 and an HP PSC 2410 printer,
which has the same margins as my HP Photosmart 1215 that works fine. Any
ideas why he had so much trouble? (Reversed pages, huge swap file (All
the floating objects I assume.), only printed one book at a time...)

Again, I'd ask this in the printingfonts newsgroup. At a guess, he may

have
less RAM on his machine and/or in the printer. Perhaps he also needs an
updated printer driver.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org