Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Hall Tom Hall is offline

Default Word 2003 - F1 and macros

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:21:08 +0200, Cindy M.
wrote:

I get a nice little Microsoft Word dialog box with an OK button - and
nothing else.

Hmmm. Confirms what you see in the dialog box. Interesting. See if this
macro (5 lines) works to REMOVE that odd assignment:

Sub RemoveKeyboardAssignment()
Application.CustomizationContext = NormalTemplate
Application.KeyBindings.Key( _
KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKeyShift, wdKeyF11)).Clear
End Sub

I get "the key combination has not been reassigned"

when I rurn GetKeyboardAssignment now.

I'm a little confused here - what exactly have we proven? That Shift-F11
had some weird procedure associated with it?

I've only recently begun to understand how macros work in Word. I don't
mean the macros themselves, but how they're stored and what macro is
available in what place(s).

All of these assignments I've been playing with I've been storing into
document templates specifically for the client whose work I'm doing at the
time.

If you've ever done transcription, you'll know that there are times when
speakers appear to be talking in some unknown language. When that happens,
I'll put the italicized text "[undecipherable]" into the document, bound to
the F11 key. Some clients want included as well an indication of location
in the file or tape where these unclear passages occur, and for that I use
Shift-F11 to insert the same text, followed by the manual insertion of the
appropriate information (elapsed time into the digital file or counter
position on the trascribing machine). I have no need for these functions in
my own work so I don't store them in Normal.dot.

Since running your RemoveKeyboardAssignment macro, I'm no longer seeing
Shift-F11 execute anything other than what I want, when I want, so the
initial problem that prompted this thread is solved.

I'm still somewhat fuzzy on how Word actually handles macros. I've had
cases where I've recorded a macro bound to a hotkey and had that hotkey do
nothing, but then I could exit and restart Word, and voila! the hotkey now
works.

Getting back to my original question for a moment - I finally figured out
what you were talking about when you provided code for reprogramming the F1
key. Am I correct in assuming that, as written, the macro would have to be
manually executed at the start of each Word session, after having the name
of the macro to be called with the F1 key inserted into the appropriate
line of the code (I called it MakeF1)?

Thanks for your time and your help, Cindy.

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email