Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
R Miles R Miles is offline

Default Compiling a large document from many files

I am working in Word 2003. I would like to compile a large document from
many files - over 2000 short files. Most of the files are one or two pages
but some are longer. They do not contain graphics, tables or fancy
formatting, most text.

I do not want to use the Master Document feature as it is not stable,
especiallly for such a large document. I plan to use Insert, File using
heading styles for each title with page break before in the definition of the
heading style. I will be creating a table of contents and using a
concordance file for creating an index for the whole document.

Is there a limit to how long the document can be? Is there a better
solution - perhaps several chapters instead of one large file? If so, could
I create a table of contents as well as an index for the entire document?

Thank you for your help,
--
R Miles