Jean

Word does this all the time! Click anywhere in the errant column and then
click on Table / AutoFit / AutoFit to Window. It's a "you know where" pain
in the "you know what".

"Richard Neville" wrote:

You don't have to see the border of a table cell to change the width of that
cell. Click anywhere within the cell and choose Table Properties on the
Table menu (may have a different name in old versions of Word). Click on the
"Column" tab and enter a width smaller than the one it shows. You can also
go to File-Page Setup and change the margins of the document itself.

"cmansbridge" wrote in message
news
I had a table in portrait format that I tried to convert to landscape.
When
I did, the left margin of the first column was no longer visible. Even
when
I deleted every other column, I still could not retrieve the left margin.
This happens periodically when I try to change the size of cloumns.
Sometimes the right margin disappears, but I can usually get it back by
making the other columns smaller. Is there some manual that addresses
Word
Tables in detail that would discuss problems like these? I am using
MSWord
2000.