Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default Word 2003 Field code within a field code

%20 is usually inserted to replace a space and not an underscore. Replace
the underscores with %5F in the original field construction and see if that
effects an improvement.

{INCLUDEPICTURE "G:\\START\\IMAGES\\PHOTOS\\{MERGEFIELD
"PROVIDER%5FLAST_NAME"}%5F{MERGEFIELD "PROVIDER%5FFIRST%5FNAME"}.GIF"}

Cheryl wrote:
I have a unique problem. I am trying to use the INCLUDEPICTURE field
code. The document I'm using is linked to a very sophisticated
database software program and I have received instructions on merging
data from this database INTO the INCLUDEPICTURE field to create the
filename for the photo files. An example is typed below:

{INCLUDEPICTURE "G:\\START\\IMAGES\\PHOTOS\\{MERGEFIELD
"PROVIDER_LAST_NAME"}_{MERGEFIELD "PROVIDER_FIRST_NAME"}.GIF"}

In the above example, the photo filenames are all matched up to the
fields referenced in the formula (last_first.gif). These are the
correct field codes, and the double slashes are important, I have
been told.

My problem is that as soon as I save the document containing the above
field, the underscores all change to "%20" and the field doesn't
work!! No one at my software vendor's help desk can help me with this
problem. Does anyone know anything about preventing this??

Thank you!

Cheryl