Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Leer Dave Leer is offline

Default Auto updating the caption numbers associated with tables of data?

I am not sure I understand:

I inserted a caption for a table and a reference in the body text.

If these do not update automatically, then what is the point of using them?

I created a caption for a table (Table 1) and a reference to it in the text
(Please see Table 1).

how do I now change the name of Table 1 to Table 2 so it reflects this in
both the caption and the reference text?

Thanks!!!!
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Create caption numbering via Insert | Reference | Caption. When
cross-referencing these numbers, use Insert | Reference |
Cross-Reference.

Captions and cross-references make use of fields (SEQ and REF fields,
respectively), which do not update automatically. One way to force an
update of these and other fields is to select the entire document and
then press F9. Switching to Print Preview should also work. To ensure
that fields update on print, check the "Update fields" option on the
Print tab of Tools | Options.

However, note that cross-references are a one-way street: you cannot
modify the cross-reference number and have the captions reflect that
modification.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dave Leer" wrote in message
I need to create a report that will describe many, many tables of

data in
the body of the paper. How can I set the document up so that each

caption
number for a table is automatically updated if the number referring

to it in
the body text is updated, and vice-versa?

Thanks!!!!