Word Heretic

G'day Suzanne

Yeah - it is that one style limitation that makes it more intuitive
for users I find :-)

I read an interesting article a few months back in Sci Am on the
stress created in modern society by the presence of too much choice.
This was followed up by JoAnne Hackos saying how good instructional
material reduces choice. If they can do it two ways, show them only
one way - when they get familiar enough with the product they can work
out the second way for themselves.

I immediately thought of Word's bullets and numbering and Tools
Options etc ad nauseum. :-)

I am currently writing a short article for the aus tech writers list
on locking down the interface and removing many of the features -
replacing some with more useful versions. Some of it is already
incorporated into the longer version I am doing for the MVP site :-)

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Suzanne S. Barnhill reckoned:

Yes, but in that case it amounts to the same thing as a TOC, though I'll
grant you it's easier to see how to do this in the TOF Options than in TOC
Options (and you can use only one style in a TOF).