Unfortunately, there is probably no way around what you are experiencing as
long as you continue to update the TOC. Once editing is complete and you are
sure the page numbers will not change, add the tab characters back and then
lock (Ctrl+F11) or unlink (Ctrl+Shift+F9) the TOC field so it won't/can't
update.

One thing you might try (how well it will work depends on how your headings
are formatted): Add a tab character to the end of each heading in the
document. Then add a \w switch to the TOC field, which will preserve the tab
characters instead of converting them to spaces. Try this with one or two
headings to see how it works before you go to the trouble of adding it to
all.

"Microsoft Newsgroups" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2002 and I'm creating a table of contents from heading

styles
and using a dot leader that goes over to the page numbers. My problem is
that I don't want the dot leaders to go right up to the page numbers.
Instead, I want them to stop about a half inch from the page number. An
example would be that I set a dot leader tab at 6.0 for the leaders to

stop
and a right align tab at 6.5 for the page number. This requires you to

tab
once for the dot leader and then again to get to the page number tab and
type in the page number. This works fine if you were to type the ToC
manually, however, if you Update the ToC it doesn't work. Instead, the

page
numbers slide back and line up to the dot leader tab. It's as though it

can
only use one tab after the ToC entry and not two.

Does anyone know how I can get this to work. Your help will be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.