Stefan Blom

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what version you were testing?
Because I just tried this in Word 2000, and a tab *after* a heading
won't be reflected in the TOC, even with the \w switch, unless more
text follows after that tab, in which case it is preserved:

Heading 1 paragraph:

My heading texttabMore text

In the TOC:

My heading text......... 1

(assuming of course that you set two tab stops in the TOC 1 style,
and that the first tab stop has a leader but the one at the right
margin doesn't).

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Interestingly, I tested the \w switch in a previous version when I

was
writing http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm, and

apparently
it did work, but I can't get it to work in Word 2003. sigh

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cathy D." wrote in message
Suzanne, thanks for getting back to me so fast. I tried your
recommendations, but unfortunately, it doesn't work the way I need

it to.
guess we will have to make the changes manually, or overlook the

messy
format.

Thank you for your help.
Cathy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Unfortunately, there is probably no way around what you are

experiencing
as
long as you continue to update the TOC. Once editing is complete

and you
are
sure the page numbers will not change, add the tab characters

back and
then
lock (Ctrl+F11) or unlink (Ctrl+Shift+F9) the TOC field so it

won't/can't
update.

One thing you might try (how well it will work depends on how

your
headings
are formatted): Add a tab character to the end of each heading

in the
document. Then add a \w switch to the TOC field, which will

preserve the
tab
characters instead of converting them to spaces. Try this with

one or
two
headings to see how it works before you go to the trouble of

adding it
all.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Microsoft Newsgroups" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2002 and I'm creating a table of contents from

heading
styles
and using a dot leader that goes over to the page numbers. My

problem
is
that I don't want the dot leaders to go right up to the page

numbers.
Instead, I want them to stop about a half inch from the page

number.
An
example would be that I set a dot leader tab at 6.0 for the

leaders to
stop
and a right align tab at 6.5 for the page number. This

requires you
tab
once for the dot leader and then again to get to the page

number tab
and
type in the page number. This works fine if you were to type

the ToC
manually, however, if you Update the ToC it doesn't work.

Instead,
the
page
numbers slide back and line up to the dot leader tab. It's as

though
it
can
only use one tab after the ToC entry and not two.

Does anyone know how I can get this to work. Your help will

be
greatly
appreciated. Thank you.