Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Naaman Naaman is offline

Default Trouble accessing E drive from Word

Tom Ferguson wrote:
To write directly to a CD-RW you must have installed appropriate
software and device drivers for your burner. Roxio (Direct CD), Ahead
(InCD), among others, provides such software. It is sometimes called
packet-writing software. Windows does not provide it.

With this software installed, you can write and read CDs as if they were
giant floppies. And the same precautions obtain. Notably: do not ever
open or save and Word file directrly from or to such a dtive. Word will
corrupt such a file under certain conditions. These conditions happen
frequently during typical Word operations.

Instead, when saving the file, save it to the hard drive and then copy
it to the CD using Windows. When opening the file, copy the file from
the CD to the HD and open it in Word from there.

In short, while you want to save directly to the CD, it is a bad idea.

All the best.
Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User