Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Why do Paragraph:Format changes have no effect in table cells?

Have you tried using the alignment buttons on the tables and borders toolbar?
There are nine icons for (horizontal) left, right, and center of (vertical)
top, center, and bottom alignments. The icons change when text direction
changes. Note that you may have to clear previous manual formatting for this
to work.

PamC

Steve_Ray wrote:
Indeed, if you want the equivalent of "Space Above/Below" in a vertical
direction (in rotated text), you need to use paragraph indents.

Actually, I don't see how paragraph indents would apply, so maybe I wasn't
clear in my original post.

If text direction in the cell is vertical, the cursor position navigating
through the text is up and down, not the normal left and right.

Therefore, a paragraph indent will just push the text 'up' (not to the
'right'). The problem I referred to is in the other axis -- the horizontal
one. That is, the text itself is vertical, but its horizontal position
within the cell is the problem. Sometimes it's good (i.e., horizontally
centered, as I want it to be), but other times it's too far left (hugging the
left border line).

It's that that I want to fix.

Thanks.