Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Default Repeating Headers Footers and tables across multiple documents?

On second review, I agree with Jack that what you are looking for is
mailmerge. If you have only a small amount of information per client, you
could use a Word document as your data source. For up to 256 (I think) you
could use an Excel spreadsheet.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Mailmerge.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"DBD" wrote in message
We use Word 2002 and create standard office and client correspondence
forms
for each project, job, client. etc. And the process of setting up .dot
files for every form we use on a job is tedious, and I want to find a way
automate this if possible, i.e. enter it in one place and have the other
documents pull the info from the fields where the info has been entered
entered.

We insert mulitple lines of project specific information in the Header,
Footer and in a tables that are in the the body of documents found on
every
piece of correspondence that we issue for a project. So when setting up a
new job we have an employee go in and edit our standard .dot file to make
project specific .dot file that is then opened and used to create the
documents for the necessary project correpondence. The problem is that we
use about 20 forms currently and are developing more as we need them so
each
on has to be opened, unprotected, the info copied or typed into the
appropriate locations, the form protected again, then saved as a .dot file
for users to begin using. Setting up a job takes a while even using copy
paste, I want to help our business manager out who is usually asked to do
this task, as she has other more important responsibilities like (payroll,
billing and accounting) other than "data entry".

Is there some way we can enter all the info in once in a "master" specific
project information word docment that then is referenced using fields or
ODBC
or something from every other document, or put another way can the
individual
documents "farm" data from the master .dot file containing all the
project's
information?

It seems like everytime I post a question here I get great and
knowledgable
replies for the most part so I am sure this can be done, however I am
afraid
it may be outside my abilities, possibly using VBA or some other code
writing
which I am not skilled in.

Any help would be appreciated, but if there is a way to do it without VBA
that would be ideal.

Thank you.

David