Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules[_3_] Bert Coules[_3_] is offline

Default Can Word 2000 run under Windows 7?

More in hope than expectation, I just tried installing Word 2000 (from the
complete Works Suite 2000) on a brand-new PC running Windows 7 Home Premium.
The installation appeared to go perfectly, but when I first tried to launch
the program I got this message:

"Required registry information is missing and this application cannot run.
Please run setup again to correct this problem."

A bit of Googling turned up the information that this message can turn up in
Windows XP and Vista too, so it doesn't seem to be particular to 7. But
none of the information I've found on how to fix it is specific to 7, so
I'm slightly at a loss. I did find accounts of Word 2000 running flawlessly
on Windows 7, so it does appear to be possible.

And yes, of course I know that what I'm trying to do is probably daft: a
nearly-ten-year old application and a brand-new OS. But Word 2000 does
everything I need, and I'm used to it; I don't want to buy a newer version
unless I absolutely have to. But *do* I absolutely have to?

Many thanks,

Bert