Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default Formula to calculate sum based on drop down form fields in Word

Doug,

I agree. I only posted an example that I had lying about that had dropdown
values of "Superior," "Excellent," "Good," etc.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Greg,

This is a bit simpler

Dim FF as FormField
Dim Score as Long
Score = 0
With ActiveDocument
For each FF in .FormFields
If FF.Type = wdFieldFormDropDown then Score = Score +
FF.DropDown.Value
Next FF
.Formfields("Result").Result=Score
End With

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
You might be able to do it with a formula field, but I don't know
how. I would use a macro set to run on exit from each variable
dropdown field. Something like this:

Sub TallyResults()

Dim FF As FormField, DDFresult As Long
DDFresult = 0
For Each FF In ActiveDocument.FormFields
If FF.Type = wdFieldFormDropDown Then
If FF.Result = "Superior" Then
DDFresult = DDFresult + 5
ElseIf FF.Result = "Above Average" Then
DDFresult = DDFresult + 4
ElseIf FF.Result = "Average" Then
DDFresult = DDFresult + 3
ElseIf FF.Result = "Below Average" Then
DDFresult = DDFresult + 2
Else
DDFresult = DDFresult + 1
End If
End If
Next FF
ActiveDocument.FormFields("Result").Result = DDFresult

End Sub

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
For some helpful tips using Word.

"KLane" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 and am creating a performance review form. I
have 13 drop down fields on all of which the choices can only be 1,
2, 3, 4 or 5. On
the final blank I would like to write a formula which calculates the
total of
all the rankings listed.

I have tried EVERYTHING! =SUM(above), =SUM(b2:b14),
=SUM(dropdown1:dropdown13). The colon returns a syntax error. I
have listed
them all out with comma separators with no colon and that returns a
0. And,
of course, I have done with and without Ctrl-F9 brackets. I am now
begging
for any help you can give. Thank you.