Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Default Styles Question

For the second time since I started this particular Word document (Word
2002/Win2000) the name of a style I created has been changed suddenly. This
document contains questions and answers. I created a character style
called Answer-Label as a sort of heading for the actual answer below it in a
paragraph style called Answer. I have done this sort of thing for a long
time. A few minutes ago I noticed that the paragraph style Answer has been
changed to Answer Char. When the same thing happened last week I merely
renamed the errant style. This time when I tried to rename it back to
Answer I got an error message telling me that the style was already in use
(I cannot see any Answer style, only Answer Char) or is reserved for a
built-in style (The is not a built-in style; I created it). Any ideas?

It may be coincidental but a little while back (30 minutes ago) my document
seemed to become corrupted. No longer could Word Find (Ctrl+F) anything at
all. Words typed right there on the page were evidently invisible to Find.
Or maybe Find became blind. I did the usual thing of copyiing all but the
last few blank paragraphs iinto a new document and resuming my labors,
without apparent incident--until the unwanted Style change showed up.