One way to handle this is to add narrow "spacer" columns between your text
columns and omit the borders on those headings. To make them as narrow as
you may want, you may need to reduce the cell margins to 0".

"Grant" wrote in message
news
I have been using paragraph border lines to allow me to have column

headers
that have individual lines instead of ones that run across the length of

the
table.
i.e., I want something like:
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
___________ _____________ _______________

instead of
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3

The problem with using paragraph borders is that for some reason I can't

get
the lines to be consistently aligned when there are some columns with

single
lines and some with mutliple lines. Ironically, on the screen everything
looks fine, but when I print, sure enough, the lines underneath some

column
headers are higher than their neighbors.

i.e. (unfortunately this will make it look far more dramatic than it is,

but
in my document, I do actually have three lines at three different

positions)
Column 2 Column 3
Column 1 multiline also multiline

What I would like is either another solution or to find a way to have the
paragraph border be more consistent (the text is formatted exactly the

same
for all columns, including paragraph formatting).

Any hints?

Thanks,

Grant