Jay Freedman

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:59:04 -0700, "Kathy"
wrote:

Ok, I will be more specific. First, I am a help desk manager at a
corporation. We have automatic updates for Symantec and the Windows Updates.
We are all on Win XP. Some of us are using Office 2003 and others are using
Office XP. The common thread seems to be documents that are on the Network.
Even downloading them to the hard drive and then trying to launch them will
take Word about 5 minutes to launch. It doesn't matter if Word is already
open or not, it still runs slow. Opening a Word document on Internet
Explorer freezes IE.

We started getting complaints on Tuesday of this week. More complaints came
in on Wed. We have tested this ourselves in the technical dept and the same
thing happens. We have checked Symantec which we have the Enterprise version
of and there is nothing there regarding the Office Plug in to turn off. We
have checked Office Update to see if some update was recently done that is
causing this problem.

Posting this out here was my way to see if anyone else was having problems
with Word or even Excel being very slow.

This sounds like the kind of problem you get when documents are based
on templates that are stored on a server, and that server either goes
offline or has been renamed. Word waits for a response from the server
until a timeout occurs. Did anything like that happen to a server on
your network on Tuesday?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman