Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Formatting a navigation thingy in the margin

DMW wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to explain this clearly...
I have an existing document in which the author displays the current
section number in the margin. It appears to somehow be embedded in
the header. It shows up on the left or right margin depending on
whether it is an even or an odd page.

Does anyone know how do this?

In File Page Setup Layout, check "Different odd and even". This gives
you separate, independent headers on even and odd pages.

With the cursor in the even-page header, insert a text box or frame, drawing
it in the left margin at the desired location. It doesn't have to be in the
"header area". Because the cursor is in the header, though, the box will
repeat on even-numbered pages as if it is part of the header. Put a Section
field (or a StyleRef field that will repeat the section title) in the box.

Now put the cursor in the odd-page header and insert a box in the right
margin, with a field inside it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman