Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Formatting a navigation thingy in the margin

For a start, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm.
You'll need to use "Different odd and even" headers/footers to put your text
box or frame on alternating sides of the page. If by "section number" you
mean what Word means by "section number," you can use a { SECTION } field in
this frame. If you mean the number of a specific numbered heading level,
then you can use a StyleRef field to pick this up (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm).

"DMW" wrote in message
I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to explain this clearly...
I have an existing document in which the author displays the current

section
number in the margin. It appears to somehow be embedded in the header. It
shows up on the left or right margin depending on whether it is an even or

an
odd page.

Does anyone know how do this?