Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Default How do I overline a symbol in an equation?

Hi Dave,

There are various ways of doing this.

One way is to us a field coded as {EQ \x\to(a)}. This solution increases the
vertical spacing for the affected line (which you could get around by
reducing the field’s point size).

Another way is to use a field coded like { EQ \o (-,a)}. To achieve the
desired result, superscript the first character in the field and subscript
the second character, which leads to small characters for both (which you
could counter by increasing the point size), but this too increases the
vertical spacing for the affected line …

Yet another way is to use {EQ \s\up6(\f(,a))}. Compared to the other
solutions, this one has the advantage of retaining the character sizes
without increasing the line height. The ‘6’ in the formula controls the bar
height.

In each example, replace the ‘a’ in the field with the desired
character(s) - 'x' in your case.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Dave1" wrote in message
In writing an equation X with a bar over it stands for the mean value of

X.
I can underline X but I cant overline it. How do I do that?