Dawn Reid Dawn Reid is offline
Junior Member

Location: New Jersey
Send a message via Skype™ to Dawn Reid
Question Reference Fields Are Not Auto Populatinng

I created a user form out of a 21 page document. The "reference fields" that link to the form fields are in the header, since Word does not like form fields to be directly in the header. Users will enter the data on the first page of the form and the reference fields "should" automatically update. However, after I enter the test data, the ref fields do not automatically populate. I have to open the Header/Footer, select the ref fields, then select F9. This will not be productive for the end user.

I tried to "record a macro" that would automatically select and update the fields. But, Word doesn't like that too much. My other alternative is to remove the reference fields out of the header and put them in the main document, however, instead of having 2-3 headers to update in the appropriate sections, I now have to have this header (table with fields) on each page. However, before I do that, I wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas? How can I create a macro, code or "user-friendly" process where the ref fields will automaticlally update in the header, or at least make it easier to update those fields since I can't seem to record a macro to do it for me? Thoughts???