Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default "Find" finds text but "Replace" doesn't

Yes, that's what I did. Nothing unusual, just the straightforward Find, which
worked, and then a straightforward Replace, which didn't work.

I used Find (control-F, or Edit/Find) with
Find what:spacespace

It found many instances of two spaces.

I then used Replace (control-H, or Edit/Replace) with:
Find what:spacespace
Replace:space

Replace could not find the double-spaces that Find had just found.

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Replace doesn't *find* anything. It holds the text that will be inserted in
place whatever Find has found. So in your case I'm guessing you want

Find what: spacespace
Replace with: space

To get rid of all multiple spaces, you need to run the find and replace again
until Word can't find any double spaces.

PamC

Eric wrote:
One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.

Do we have to guess what the find string is that you cannot find?

It's two spaces. Find finds it, Replace does not.

And what are you replacing it with?