Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default "Find" finds text but "Replace" doesn't

As always, thanks for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I agree that this is anomalous, and I said I thought it was bug-like.

"Eric" wrote in message
That may be true, and thanks for the reminder. But to me the problem is
independent of this.

I have always assumed that Find and Replace work exactly the same, as to
what they find and don't find. But I've now discovered that they work
differently: in this case, Find finds something, and Replace doesn't,
although I'm putting identical target text in the Find What box.

If Find finds a target and Replace doesn't, to me that's a problem in
itself.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I agree that this is bug-like. But it sounds to me as if you're getting
extra spaces when you delete text that you would not get if you were
using
some "smart" feature or other. Both on the Edit tab of Tools | Options
and
in the "Smart cut andpaste" settings, there are some settings that might
result in those extra spaces being deleted. This "smart" behavior still
not
infallible (I have issues about the way it behaves around parentheses),
but
it does help.

"Eric" wrote in message
I've figured out Word is doing. It still seems incorrect to me, but at
least
I now see what's happening.

Using an example:

In the text I have "abc" (i.e., the letters a,b,c). I turn on Track
Changes
and delete the b. In Final Showing Markup view I see abc, with b
struck-through. I do a Find, with Find What: ac, and Find does not find
the
target, which is what I expect. Also, Replace fails to find the target.

I then change to Final view. Now Find finds the ac, and Replace
doesn't.

This seems incorrect to me. In my opinion, Find and Replace should work
exactly the same in what they find or don't find. (Obviously, Replace
also
has the capability of replacing the target text, once found.) But they
don't.

I've learned something.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Eric,

It becomes relevant when folks are attempting to duplicate the
behavior
with the same conditions and steps.

In creating a document in Word 2003 that had two spaces already in
some
places in it and adding two spaces by typing in other cases,
then putting the Review toolbar into final display mode for me Replace
handled all of the 2-spaces to 1-space changes.

Was the text typed in or pasted from the web or another document, or
???
Is there a specific font used or style formatting applied?

"Eric" wrote in message
One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The
trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP