Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Duane[_2_] Duane[_2_] is offline

Default "Find" finds text but "Replace" doesn't

OK, I have the same problem in 2007.

I'm searching for ^p^t (paragraph character followed by tab character).
On the "Find" tab, it finds them all. Go to the "Replace" tab, click the
"Find next" button, and it finds none.

I'm not using (never use) Track Changes, and all the criteria and options
are identical. I've closed and re-opened the document.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Duane

"Eric" wrote:

I've figured out Word is doing. It still seems incorrect to me, but at least
I now see what's happening.

Using an example:

In the text I have "abc" (i.e., the letters a,b,c). I turn on Track Changes
and delete the b. In Final Showing Markup view I see abc, with b
struck-through. I do a Find, with Find What: ac, and Find does not find the
target, which is what I expect. Also, Replace fails to find the target.

I then change to Final view. Now Find finds the ac, and Replace doesn't.

This seems incorrect to me. In my opinion, Find and Replace should work
exactly the same in what they find or don't find. (Obviously, Replace also
has the capability of replacing the target text, once found.) But they don't.

I've learned something.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Eric,

It becomes relevant when folks are attempting to duplicate the behavior with the same conditions and steps.

In creating a document in Word 2003 that had two spaces already in some places in it and adding two spaces by typing in other cases,
then putting the Review toolbar into final display mode for me Replace handled all of the 2-spaces to 1-space changes.

Was the text typed in or pasted from the web or another document, or ??? Is there a specific font used or style formatting applied?

"Eric" wrote in message ...
One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP