Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cbcrocker cbcrocker is offline

Default Help! Word document Protection

Thanks. If there's a macrobutton (one that saves the document and attaches
it to an email) in one of the cells will it continue to work?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Type "protect" in the Help search box, and choose the topic "Allow
editing in a protected document". Read those instructions. Then you
have to use your imagination a little bit.

The procedure involves protecting the whole document and then allowing
editing everywhere except where you want locking. So allow editing
from the beginning of the document up to, but not including, the first
locked cell. Allow editing for any cells or groups of cells that
should not be locked. Finally, allow editing from just beyond the end
of the last locked cell to the end of the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 19:16:02 -0700, cbcrocker
wrote:

Jay - I can't find the instructions for locking individual cells in Word
2003. Where is it located? - Craig

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Locking individual cells is possible only in Word 2003. And if that document
is opened in any earlier version, it behaves as if the whole document is
protected.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Pinky wrote:
Jay,

Thanks for the reply, but is there a way to lock individual cells
within a table in MS Word?

Pinky,
"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Pinky,

Unfortunately, while any part a document is protected for forms, it's
impossible to use any of the drawing tools including AutoShapes --
even in unprotected sections. The only solution is to unprotect the
document, draw the shapes, and reprotect the document.

Depending on what version of Word you have, you may need the macro in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...lfResetOff.htm to be able
to reprotect without clearing the form fields.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Pinky wrote:
I created a document that is going to be used as a instruction
manual and I need the first page to be protected so that only form
fields are being changed in the document. The subsequent pages are
tables and within these tables are photos inserted for visual aid
in the instruction. The problem I'am finding is this:

I inserted a section break on page 1 of the document and initiated
the "Protect Document" option on section 1 of the document.

Now on the following pages, that I will be entering photos and text,
are still showing that the document is locked. I can still insert
photos and text into the tables but I cannot use the "Auto Shapes"
option in MS Word.

Is this option not available on section 2 when a document is locked
for section 1 only?
How can I set this document up and still protect page 1 and still
allow for use of "AutoShapes" etc... on the following pages.