Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Locking Shapes to Pictures in Word 2007

You need to insert a drawing canvas (bottom of the Insert Shapes tool) which
will hold the elements together. This was similar in Word 2003.

holman wrote:
Word 2007 problem over previous versions:

I cut and paste a picture into a document (map, aerial, etc. in JPG)
then place arrows, text boxes, lines, highlight marks and other stuff
to show what I want the reader to look at.

If the picture is moved on the page or elsewhere, the various
customizations I make remain in place on the page the picture was
inserted.

How do I associate, or lock, the changes/additions to the picture?

In previous versions, the pic could be called up in a separate
program, changed and closed out and the changes to the pic would
remain with the pic. Now, adding shapes from the Insert tab allows
them to float away from the underlying inserted picture, if moved.

If I need to first save the jpg in a separate file, then bring it up
in a software program that allows me to manipulate/add shapes, then
save it, then insert the modified pic . . . it's a step back from
previous MS Word versions.

Nonplussed in Dallas, Texas