Ron Lee

Default Formatting of Subdocument via "INCLUDE" into a Master Document

A scenario arises where I am using an existing word document as a master
document. I am attempting to "include" files which I believe are called
subdocuments in Microsoft vernacular. This is so I can update the master
document with the latest version of the subdocuments by a control key
sequence. However, the formatting doesn't seem to auto adjust "heading"
styles, I.E. "1.2.4 Heading 3" for the content in a subdocument when you
"include" it into the master.

This is contrary to the behavior in a master document if I use the "insert
document" button on the toolbar when I am in outline view. The drawback to
this scenario is that I cannot save the master document and exit even though
the subdocument has been saved separately. If anyone has a suggestion for
this particular condition, please answer. Also, the latter inlines a
subdocument with no apparent way to update the master easily if you have
many subdocuments. This paragraph exists only to illustrate what I would
like to happen when you "include" a file, I.E. there exists a link via field
code, into a master document.

Version of MS Word is 2002 with SP 3.

Any help would be appreciated.