If you use a line break rather than a paragraph break at the end of the
first line, the entire paragraph will be included in the TOC, and the line
break will be rendered as a space. If you need space between the label and
title, either add an extra line break (you'll get two spaces in the TOC) or
add line spacing to the table title style.

"Geoff C" wrote in message
I have a document containing several cases of (for example)

Table 1

Title of table 1

xxx xxx xxx xxx

Table 2

Title of table 2

yyy yyy yyy yyy

centred across the page. It's a standard table format that cannot be

altered.

The requirement is for a TOC that has

Table 1: Title of table 1.........1
Table 2: Title of table 2.........3

etc.

Is there any way I can do this? I've applied a heading style to the table
titles, but I end up with a TOC that looks like

Title of table 1.........1
Title of table 2.........3

which has been rejected.

Thanks for any help,